Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 14:49:10 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on the Intel-UNIX standard

On Monday, 21 September 1998 at 13:19:35 +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 1998 00:26:18 -0500, "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co> wrote:
>> I'm concerned about the SNR in hackers, but I just couldn't resist
>> asking if someone was aware and acting on this
>>	http://www.sco.com/udi/
>
> This was mentioned by some Intel marketroids at the recent AUUG'98
> conference.  There was a fair amount of discussion at a subsequent
> Freenix BOF (which included Greg Lehey and Peter Wemm within the
> FreeBSD group and Robert Hart from Red Hat, as well as assorted
> users from the Linux community and all the *BSD groups).

An interesting observation, BTW, was that there were roughly equal
numbers of Linux and *BSD people present.  Peter (Wemm) and I also
noted that the Linux people seemed to be outsiders, whereas the *BSD
people were relatively well known (Peter, can I publish those photos I
took on Thursday evening?).

> The almost unanimous concensus(*) was that it was a very bad move
> and the Freenix community should resist it.  I think I was the only
> person who felt it had any merit at all.

Not so.  I saw considerable merit.  The Linux people seemed to take
the attitude "If we can't get source for it, we won't support it".  I
tried to make it clear that if it became mainstream (as is quite
possible), we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot by ignoring it.
There was also considerable confusion about the difference between UDI
and I2O.

It's a pity we had so short a session: it was definitely a thing that
needed more discussion, and we didn't have enough time to do so.  For
example, at that time nobody was sure whether sources and
documentation would be available.  We're still not 100% sure what will
be available, but it's looking better than it sounded on Friday.

> The major problems seen by the group were:
>
> 1) Binary-only device drivers are a bad idea.  It will reduce the chances
>    of us getting access to the hardware interface specs, and therefore
>    being able to build a device driver that works.

Agreed (I hope you do too).  But it looks as if we're going to have
sources.

> 2) Binary-only device drivers tie the hardware to the processor.  This
>    reduces the portability of (eg) PCI cards.

Yes, but this isn't really a Freenix problem.  It would adversely
affect the vendors of the boards, so you could be pretty sure that
drivers will appear for any processor which they consider important.

> 3) The difficulty of supporting the kernel services required for a UDI
>    driver.

We don't know yet.

> 4) Increased finger-pointing when a device driver fails.

Hmm.  I don't recall hearing this one, but I arrived a little late.
If the interface is clean, it should be relatively obvious where the
problem lies.  It would certainly be no worse than a panic using
softupdates, vinum and cad (to use a hypothetical example).

Greg