Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2010 23:43:40 GMT
From:      Hannes <h2+bugreports@fsfe.org>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/148095: Regression / bug in xorg-server

>Number:         148095
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Regression / bug in xorg-server
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
As of xorg-server 1.7* I have some serious issues with my r400.

Card: ATI Radeon R480 X850 XT
xorg-server-1.7.5,1
xf86-video-ati-6.13.0

Most annoying Issue:
-Whenever the resolution changes (first time Xorg starts, a game starts, changing to Terminals, manual xrandr…) the screen turns black (it does not lose signal it just turns black). If i unplug and replug the screen or turn it off+on, the pciture returns without problems.
Nothing is logged to Xorg.0.log until the screen is turned on again. Nothing is logged to dmesg.

I have already done:
* used vesa instead of radeon -> fixes the issue (but not even correct resolutions detected)
* turned off DRI with radeon -> doesnt fix the issues (not mesas fault)

I have tried with various different freebsd systems, also i386 and different apllication versions. As soon as xorg-server >= 1.7 the issue occurs. It is not directly related to the version of xf86-video-ati. As it did not occur with older xorg-server and current xf86-video-ati. I have tried different mesa-version and am currently running 7.7, but as mentioned previously I don't think mesa is related to this.

With a 10.04 Ubuntu USB-Stick the issue doesn't occur but I don't know which versions that comes with and it probably uses KMS anyway.

Thanks for your help, if you need further inof, please let me know!
>How-To-Repeat:
see above
>Fix:
dont't upgrade xorg