Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 11:35:32 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Correction of typo

In my earlier response to Matthew Dodd, I wrote:

>nd quite possibly damaging user/market trust in the brand.

In that case, isn't Walnut Creek doing exactly that by selling its
"FreeBSD Power Pak" and other products which

This was the result of sending the message before I'd finished writing
that one section. It should have read:

>and quite possibly damaging user/market trust in the brand.

In that case, isn't Walnut Creek doing exactly that by selling its
"FreeBSD Power Pak" and other products which contain third-party
products? Many of the pieces of software included in this package
(and even in Walnut Creek's 4-CD set!) are not developed by the
FreeBSD Project and thus are not subject to its quality control
standards. Over time, programs with serious bugs and security
holes, including Version 2.4 of QPopper and easily compromised
versions of BIND, have shipped on the Walnut Creek discs. None
of this has damaged user/market trust in the brand! However, if
one is concerned about this, the best solution would be to draw
a hard line between what the project produced and what it did not,
as follows:

1. Ensure that only the output of the project is called "FreeBSD."

2. Require anyone who publishes a CD-ROM containing any code or
documentation not generated by the project itself to use a name
which indicates this. For example, "Walnut Creek FreeBSD" (which
would be analogous to "Red Hat Linux").

3. Any product which did not use the name "FreeBSD" in a derogatory
or misleading way could use the name as PART of a product name
so long as it was qualified. (Again, "Red Hat Linux" and "Debian GNU/Linux"
come to mind as examples.)

Any other approach would blur the line between what the FreeBSD
Project generated and other things which were not its output.

--Brett