Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 20:14:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NOTICE: Softupdates

With all the euphoria about softupdates. I thought I should
put out a reminder..

Soft updates is still not quite complete..
there is still a missing dependency that needs to be caught.
It results in the occasional directory entry hitting the disk before
the inode.  This is still a lot safer than the old 'sync'
code but it does indicate that people should not just 'trust it blindly'.

in the light of softupdates, what 'sync()' does needs to be carefully
thought about because there is room there for confusion. (I have not yet
visited that code heavily)

The dependency problem has been reproduced under BSDI.

julian