Date:      Thu, 07 Dec 2000 20:23:04 -0500
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@freebsd.org>
To:        Eric M Logan <ericmlogan@mediaone.net>
Cc:        STABLE <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Netatalk--printing from a MAC...

Have you setup apsfilter?  You need to go into /usr/local/apsfilter and
run SETUP.

If you have it set up to print a postscript file through LPD from your
unix system, you won't have a problem.  There are examples in
/usr/local/ghostscript/6.01/examples.  I like to use alphabet.ps (nice a
simple).  So if you can lpr alphabet.ps, you should be set.  Then just
use the Laserwriter 8 driver on the Mac.

Since you are using the native driver on the PCs, and you are going
through Samba (probably), it's not using papd in Netatalk.

Feel free to drop me a line if you need more help.

Patrick

Eric M Logan wrote:

> No, it's just a regular DeskJet printer.   I have apsfilter installed but
> shouldn't the specification of the ppd file attend to the conversion?
> Afterall, I can readily print through LPD w/o the use of apsfilter from any of
> the PCs as I can specify the driver for the particuar printer when I'm setting
> it up from the PC side.  This is so frustrating.
>
> Carl Makin wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Eric M Logan wrote:
> >
> > > to work from a Mac.  Printing is fine locally and from PCs.   I have an
> > > old HP Deskjet 855cxi connected to my FreeBSD box.  The papd.conf file
> > > is as follows:
> >
> > > "Callisto:pr=lp:pd=/usr/local/etc/ppds/APLWNTR1.PPD:"
> >
> > >     Everytime I try to print, I get this:
> >
> > > %PS Adobe 3.0
> > >             %%Title:(untitled)
> > >                         %%Creator (simpletext :LaserWriter 8.8.6.5
> >
> > Is it a postscript printer?  If not then you need to pass the print job
> > through ghostscript to convert it to something the Deskjet can understand.
> >
> > There is a port called "apsfilter" that makes this much easier.
> >
> > Carl.
>
> --
> Eric M Logan
> ericmlogan@mediaone.net