Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 14:22:35 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: -STABLE isn't stable - SCSI *and* Ethernet ...

>> One of your drives went away for a while.  This is probably caused by
>> a sudden peak in activity that caused your drives to draw more power
>> than your supplies can offer.  da9 should also be upgraded to L915 if
>> you want it to be reliable.
>
>Okay, but why does it only do this under 3.1-STABLE?  In the past 4
>months, I've never seen that error, now, with upgrading to 3.1-STABLE, it
>suddenly happens?  If this had been happening consistently over the past 4
>months, regardless of OS, no sweat...I can believe a hardware issue, but
>it only started *after* upgrading to 3.1-STABLE :(

upgrading from what to 3.1-stable?  3.0R?  If so, there have been several
changes that affect performance of the system and allow for higher loads
to be dished out to disks.  Perhaps your system was teetering on the
edge of failure before, and the new code is just enough faster to make
the problem surface.

--
Justin