Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 1998 14:08:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Useful hack or just weird?

On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> You be the judge..  This little hack lets the ports collection install
> "stubs" rather than full binaries, the mission in life of each stub
> being to essentially commit suicide by installing the relevant package
> on top of itself and then reinvoking the real binary with the original
> arguments.

There are too many ports.  Too many people would compain (either
justly or unjustly, doesn't matter) that "oh! oh!  all these
little files are taking all my inodes and using all my
diskspace".

However, if this went onto a separate partition...  Hmm...  :)

The other obvious problem is updating the 1600 odd ports we have
right not to support this.  I would expect a lot of bugreports
going along the lines of "I typed ``xxzzyyzz'' but the xxzzyyzz
port didn't install itself!  What's wrong!?".

Not to mention all the ports installing identically-named
executables we have.

> for it.  Then you just invoke this executable as you normally would
> (perhaps after rehashing your shell) and it should come up after the
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ooh.  For something probably directed at newbies, that's a heavy
request.  OTOH, maybe all newbies use bash (which doesn't need
rehashing usually).

> X+EXECNAME?=		${PKGNAME}

Ah.  An attempted magic update of all ports.  Perhaps
EXECNAME+=${PKGNAME}, but I don't think ?= is a good idea.

> END-of-port-stub.sh

Probably would have been better to have the stubs call some other
more central script.  This more central script could more easily
be customized by the user (instead of having to customize 3-4
thousand little stubs).

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.