Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 23:28:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Willem Jan  Withagen <wjw@surf.IAE.nl>
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysctl descriptions.. sorta..

In article <199809250748.AAA01220@word.smith.net.au> you write:
>> Welp, it's here..  I figured that the easiest way to go about adding some
>> way to retreive descriptions for individual sysctls/mibs/whatever you want
>> to call them was to add a syscall.
>>
>> So I've put some diffs that should add a new syscall (getsyscalldescr(2))
>> to achieve this (and also attempt to document a few more sysctls) at
>> http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/junk. A small example of how to use this is
>> also available at the afformentioned URL.
>
>Wrong way to do it.  Use another "magic" method; see kern/kern_sysctl
>for the existing "magic" methods.  I'd use {0,5,...} in the same fashion
>as {0,4,...} is already implemented.  Should be very easy.

Fortunately for me, is my dayjob so rewarding that I don't have time to
complete the changes I had set for the sysctl-stuff.

But I do know that I strongly agree with the comments in the files, that the
interface should be riped out by its guts. And as such I strongly disagree
with what Mike suggests.

The smallest change to make te interface more "elegant", is to include
a "opcode" parameter, instead of whacking it into the mib-id-field.

And I still do not understand why some set of routines get to have unique
system-calls where others are cramped into 1 omni-potent list of parameters.

And yes, I do spent on and off time, to get done what I wanted to get done.

--WjW
--
Internet Access Eindhoven BV.,  voice: +31-40-2 393 393, data: +31-40-2 606 606
P.O. 928, 5600 AX Eindhoven, The Netherlands