Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 08:16:44 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ACE wrappers

%
%What are drawbacks of using ACE built without threads?

That depends on your application.  If the I/O/Event multiplexing
is handled solely by a singleton reactor (even on the CORBA side) then
single thread stuff works fine.  The single thread configs on
my site were supplied by a fellow who's supporting a single
theaded TAO application on 4.0.

OTOH my own application has multiple ORBs and threads, and
wouldn't be possible otherwise.

%Is it possible to make native exceptions work under RELENG_4
%or RELENG_3 or should we use ACE exceptions instead

I'd love to see native exceptions work.  Till then I've been
using ACE exceptions.  They're simple and I've had no problems
with them (ace/CORBA_macros.h).

%(we also plan to build our product under Win32, Solaris and Linux)?
%Do ACE exceptions work under FreeBSD properly?

Yup.  You just got to stomach that ugliness factor.  Once
I got over it using them is just fine.

HTH,
Russell

%thanks in advance