Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 1997 10:24:21 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Lee Johnston <ljohns@cyberworld.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with regestring domain name

On Sun, Nov 23, 1997 at 11:32:43PM +0000, Lee Johnston wrote:
> Hi I wounder if anyone can help:
>
> I've been told by two people two different things about regestring a
> domain name.
>
> One person says you must add the domain zone files to the DNS server and
> alter named.boot accordingly and then email Internic requesting a link
> from the root servers to the DNS Server hosting the zone files.
>
> The other says you must email internic before altering the DNS server
> files.
>
> Who is right???

Both of them.  You need to specify the names of at least two name
servers to register a domain, but they don't need to be running at
that point.  On the other hand, they should be running as soon as the
domain is registered, and since it doesn't do any harm to have them
running before, I'd suggest that you set up the name server first.

Greg