Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:55:07 -0400
From:      media@ct1.nai.net
To:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found

At 5:30 PM -0700 10/16/00, Jamie Bowden wrote:

>After my extensive battle with my hardware and getting freebsd 4.4.1-R to
>boot from CD, I have now hit another brick wall.  I checked the ERRATA.TXT
>file and it's unchanged from original release.
>
>After a successfull install, sysinstall tells me to remove cds, floppies,
>anything else that might potentially boot instead of the internal hdd,
>etc.  All is well and good, the machine comes back up, Boot Magic has an
>entry for FreeBSD's partition, things are going well.
>
>Then the kernel loads init.  I get lots of errors about
>/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found.

What does it say before the errors??

>I proceed to c-a-d, and boot single
>user.  A quick cd into /usr/libexec and an ls later, I see the directory
>is empty, save ld.so.a.  Now, I've been running FreeBSD for a long time,
>but I have yet to have this happen.  Is this a known bug?  Has anyone else
>run across this?
>
>Please CC me in all replys, as I am not sub'd to this list.

Try

# find / -name "ld-elf.so.1"

If it doesn't find it, you don't have it installed.  I'm still getting up
to speed with 3.4 myself, and I'm not sure where all of these ELF and a.out
files come from during install, or exactly what they do, but I would go
back into sysinstall (provided you haven't updated your system since
without updating /stand since) and install all of the compat and Linux
compatibility files.  I don't know if they are all necessary, but that's
what I did during my initial install.

# cd /usr/libexec
# ls | wc

tells me I have 52 files and directories in /usr/libexec, and I have a
rather minimal system at this point.

If I were you you, I would s*bscribe to this list -- it's very helpful, and
gives you the opportunity to help others in return.