Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 22:33:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        stevel <stevel@logues.rhn.orst.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UPS daemon

-Hackers cc pruned.

On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, stevel wrote:

> Is there anyone working on a generic UPS daemon?  I know someone is
> working on one specifically for APC Smart UPS's, but this isn't usefull to
> the majority of people.  We mostly have "non-smart", TrippLite's and APC
> out there right?  Tripplite BC series, OmniPro series / APC BackUPS
> series.

The wildwind upsd is built to be modular.  depending on how your UPS does
it's signalling (you'll need to get the specs for this) it shouldn't be
too difficult to hack something into the existing frame.  ww upsd is
pretty simple, the nasty logic is in the APC support.

> I would like to write a UPSd in C++, but I don't have enough knowledge of
> serial programming yet.  Also, I would like some input about how the
> FreeBSD startup, and shutdown events happen.  I am very familiar with the
> SYSV style startup/shutdown as implemented in RedHat Linux, and how
> sysvinit supports power event signals.  What is the corollary in BSD?  As
> far as I'm concerned, I don't even want to have to mess with init.  I'd
> like to do my own shutdowns, and cancelations?

Um, well, not much.  SysV and BSD are about as different as butter and
chocolate.  You'd have to poke the source, the hackers list, or Design &
Imp. of 4.4BSD to find out the gory details.

You could just call shutdown(8), but then your program has to run setgid
operator.

If you haven't taken the opportunity, check out
ftp://ftp.ww.net/pub/wildwind/upsd.  Full src included.