Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 07:38:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chern Lee <chern@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
Cc:        <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RFC: Change to "why does my mail to FreeBSD.org bounce" FAQ

It's very early in the morning, so I'll try to add to this discussion as
best as I can.

hub.freebsd.org implements some of Postfix's stricter client checks for
mail it receives.

The hostname in the EHLO/HELO command must merely exist, it does not
necessarily have to match the client's IP address.  I've ran into on a few
occasions, mailservers that have forward DNS but no reverse DNS entries.
Clients/mailservers with this condition will be denied by hub.freebsd.org.

hub.freebsd.org will reject:
 * HELO/EHLO command with bad syntax
 * HELO/EHLO not in FQDN form
 * HELO/EHLO hostname without DNS A or MX record
 * Client hostname is unknown (will not reverse resolve)
 * MAIL FROM domain without DNS A or MX record
 * MAIL FROM not in FQDN form

Hopefully that sheds some more light :)

- chern