Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:22:24 +0100
From:      Lupe Christoph <lupe@lupe-christoph.de>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mediation needed for munin-node and munin-main

On Thursday, 2004-12-09 at 14:54:34 -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 06:26:34AM +0100, Lupe Christoph wrote:

> > The default set is determined by running munin-node-configure which
> > loads each plugin in turn and asks it if it can autoconfigure and if it
> > is a generic plugin (e.g. if_) about suggested suffixes. This is quite
> > time-consuming. ...

> How time-consuming?

Pentium MMX 100 MHz:      26 sec
Athlon 1000 MHz:           5 sec
VMware on Athlon XP 2000: 12 sec

Not as much as I thought. It's still a lot of work to determine and
compare the plugin set from this output:

Plugin                     | Used | Suggestions
------                     | ---- | -----------
cpu                        | no   | yes
df                         | no   | yes

I'd collect all plugins that have a "yes" in the "Suggestions" column in
a string and compare that against a string containing the existing
symlink names. Lines like this
if_                        | no   | yes +em0 +em1 +fxp0 +fxp1 +fxp2 +fxp3 +fxp4 +fxp5
make this especially hard. But it's doable. Just ugly.

> > > It's an important requirement that doing 'make install deinstall'
> > > (alternatively pkg_add; pkg_delete) leaves the system in the same
> > > state it was before the 'install', and not leave behind random cruft
> > > in ${PREFIX}.

> > Well, I need at least VERSION. And the user would not like munin-main to
> > delete all the data files that have been accumulated while the port was
> > installed.

> > I cannot ask the user if he wants all files deleted with a default of
> > "yes" because many people will just blindly hit return. And if the
> > default is "no", the automated removal will leave "cruft" behind.

> I meant 'installed and immediately deinstalled', i.e. leave nothing
> behind if nothing is changed from the default installation.  If the
> administrator changes something, it should be preserved after
> deinstallation.  This is how ports are supposed to work.

Can't. VERSION.node is left unchanged but needed.

Either I satisfy your requirements, or I deviate from the behaviour of
all other Munin packages when deinstalling.

IIRC, Debian has a "configfiles" category. A Debian package can be just
removed which leaves them behind, or it can be removed with the --purge
option which eradicates them. This distiction is exactly what is missing
in the FreeBSD ports. I never looked at the Debian package upgrade
process in detail, but I'd guess an upgrade is just a remove followed by
an install, just like a FreeBSD port. Except that configfiles are left
untouched because the --purge option is not used.

Thank you,
Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| "... putting a mail server on the Internet without filtering is like   |