Date:      Sat, 3 Jul 1999 09:43:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Dean <brdean@unx.sas.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   support for i386 hardware debug watch points

Hi,

After recently debugging a very elusive memory overwrite problem that
I was only able to find by setting up a debugger watch point, and
suffering through the slowness that this introduced, I began reading
up on the ix86 support for hardware watch points.  Using this facility
of the chip would require OS support, and specifically, loading the
debug registers at context switch time.  Also, the 'ptrace' system
call could easily be extended to provide an interface for doing this
from user code.

Is there any interest in supporting something like this in FreeBSD?
I'm volunteering to spend some cycles on this, but I don't want to go
to the effort if there's little chance that the work would be
integrated.

Thanks,
-Brian
--