Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:34:15 +0000
From:      Mike Dewhirst <mike@dolphintime.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /usr/local/jdk1.3/bin/java: /usr/bin/expr: not found

After installing FreeBSD 4.02 with Linux compatibility, I have downloaded and
installed Sun's Java 2 JDK1.3. After adding the */jdk1.3/bin to path and
setting JAVA_HOME, I tried to test the JDK, by executing "java".

I get the following error:

usr/local/jdk1.3/bin/java: /usr/bin/expr: not found
/usr/local/jdk1.3/bin/java: /usr/bin/expr: not found
Error: can't find libjava.so.
----
# ./java
./java: /usr/bin/expr: not found
./java: /usr/bin/expr: not found
Usage: java [-options] class [args...]
           (to execute a class)
   or  java -jar [-options] jarfile [args...]
           (to execute a jar file)

where options include:
    -cp -classpath <directories and zip/jar files separated by :>
                  set search path for application classes and resources
    -D<name>=<value>
                  set a system property
    -verbose[:class|gc|jni]
                  enable verbose output
    -version      print product version and exit
    -showversion  print product version and continue
    -? -help      print this help message
    -X            print help on non-standard options
----
If I run ./java from */jdk1.3/bin, I get:

Can somebody please tell me what I've done/not done wrong? I am new to UNIX and
FreeBSD, so please don't assume anything.

Thank you in advance,

Mike Dewhirst
Dolphintime.com