Date:      Tue, 08 Dec 1998 16:24:26 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Bill Hamilton <billh@finsco.com>
Cc:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: tar

Bill Hamilton wrote:

> This should be an easy question for someone that uses tar alot.
> I was trying to recover the *.dist files into /etc/mtree that I
> clobbered by accident (don't ask).
> I used the bin.?? from my /dos/freebsd/bin directory from the install
> to do a cat bin.?? | tar -vtzf - | grep etc/mtree
> and it displayed the files. But when I do this:
>
> cat bin.?? | tar -vxzf - etc/mtree/BSD* -C /etc/mtree

You can't use wildcards in the list of files to extract
(etc/mtree/BSD*)

> the first file is displayed, but nothing gets written to disk.
> The remaining files are not displayed.
> What is wrong with my tar statement?

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd.
Bath, Avon, England.  Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com