Date:      Tue, 1 Mar 2005 00:25:48 +0800
From:      Xin LI <delphij@frontfree.net>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   bind() on 127.0.0.1 in jail: bound to the outside address?

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

Dear folks,

It seems that doing bind() inside a jail (whose IP address is an outside
address), will result in some wierd behavior, that the actual bind is
done on the outside address.

For example, binding to 127.0.0.1:6666 inside a jail addressed 192.168.1.1,
will finally result in a bind to 192.168.1.1:6666.  With this in mind,
it is possible that some formerly secure configuration fail in jail
environment.

It seems that our implementation will forward every loopback connection
to the outside address.  A simple hack to work around this issue might
be to modify the individual bind procedures to treat prison case with
loopback address, but I'm not sure if a true solution can solve the
issue with minimum code change and code complexity.

Your ideas are highly appreciated!

Cheers,
--=20
Xin LI <delphij frontfree net>	http://www.delphij.net/
See complete headers for GPG key and other information.

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy--