Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 1998 03:25:46 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: doscmd & vga (raw mode)

This message should have been posted to the -emulation list (to which
it has been redirected).

> I had a question about doscmd...  I know that raw mode isn't yet
> supported, and neither is vga mode.  Does it need to cooperate with
> syscons via the libvgl interface, or does it directly access video memory
> via the bios/other?

There is no "vga mode" as such.  Raw mode works by taking over the
console from the console driver (like X does), and placing the video
hardware directly in the hands of the DOS application.

> Does raw mode work on BSDI?  I tried executing a
> self-displaying picture with doscmd -r picture.exe and got
> doscmd: fatal error reading program text.  What needs to be done to do
> access VGA?  Also, VGA should be doable under X, even though it would be
> much tougher.

What needs to be done, for raw mode:

 - The correct console ioctl() and mmap() calls need to be organised to
   switch into/out of raw mode.  These are the console* functions in
   tty.c (and related gumpf).
 - Port I/O access needs to be provided to the video controller
   registers.
 - The video BIOS needs to be mapped into the process' address space,
   and its entry vectors dug up.

VGA under X is quite doable, and probably not a lot tougher.

> P.S. This is far fetched, but I thought I might even be possible to do a
> non-vga (libvga, syscons) port of netscape since the sources are going to
> be released soon.  This could be tough.

It would be excruciatingly difficult; you would have to effectively
replace Motif with your own GUI library.
\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\