Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 04:37:56 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
Cc:        Nielsen <nielsen@memberwebs.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (jail) problem and a (possible) solution ?

Patrick Thomas wrote:
> Since all of the things you spoke of basically revolved around "you're
> running out of memory", is it possible or reasonable to think that within
> the space of 1 second, I ran through 1404 megs inactive and 28 megs free
> memory ?
>
> machine is 4.5-RELEASE with 3gigs ram.  swap never gets touched, although
> there is in fact 2gigs of swap.  `pstat -s` always shows 0% used.

OK, there's memory, and then there's memory.

The amount of swap you have, the fact that it's 4.5, and the
amount of RAM you have imply to me that the problem is that
you are out of pmap entries.

You should up your KVA space to 2G or maybe even 3G; the default
in 4.5 was 1G.

Basically, I now think that you don't have enough memory to map
how much memory and virtual memory you have.

Amusingly enough, you might actually have *better* luck with a
lot less swap...

If your KVA space is already enlarged above the default, then
you can ignore this and just go ahead with the debugging to see
what the wait channels for all the processes that won't run are
stuck at.

-- Terry