Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 17:44:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Benjamin Gavin <virtual_olympus@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   NATD and non-UDP/TCP packets

Hey all,
  I've browsed through the archives and haven't found the answer (although
I have found the question) numerous times.  What I am trying to do is
setup some VPN software which uses the ESP and AH protocols (50/51).
Unfortunately natd will not so the translation (as neither are UDP/TCP nor
PPTP).  Are there other services available for FreeBSD which will perform
these functions, or is there any possibility that these protocols will be
included in future NATD versions?

  What are the fundamental differences between ESP/AH and TCP/UDP?  Are
they inherently more complicated to translate, or is there some checksum
built into the packet which would have to be recalculated upon
translation??

  The problem (as I see it) is that natd doesn't touch the outgoing
packets, so the destination machine tries to reply to the internal address
numbers.  I can watch the packets with both tcpdump and by logging their
denial on the firewall, but is it possible to get these things NAT'd??

Thanks much,
Ben Gavin