Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 13:13:33 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        somsky@dirac.phys.washington.edu (William R. Somsky)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing sendmail

William R. Somsky stands accused of saying:

> I guess the main point I'd like to suggest is that perhaps the way to go
> is with a general tool that contains all the muscle for doing these things
> and individual per-package/utility/service control files which contain all
> the brains for what to do.

Yup, you're definitely walking down the same path that I've been along.

> So, can anybody get anything out of this -- other than severe nausia?

Depends.  If someone likes the idea enough, they might see their way
to paying my bills a few days a week so that I can actually make
something happen with it. 8( 8(

Seriously, this is my "current" project, although it has become somewhat
derailed with related metawork (see below).  The model is somewhat
larger and more complex than you've described, but you've got yer
meaty paws on the basics 8)

> William R. Somsky			      somsky@phys.washington.edu

{ For anyone who might be wondering, the current holdup is in writing
  a processing tool which takes a basic specification of a C-callable
  library and produces wrapper functions to call the library from
  Tcl without modification.  If someone else has done this already,
  I'd be more than happy to use their code, presuming it works 8)
  This is a prerequisite for calling things like libdisk from a generic
  configuration tool without having to write a new version of libdisk,
  etc. }