Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 2009 13:31:03 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: undo make deinstall

Hi--

On Oct 21, 2009, at 12:40 PM, Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 12:38:48PM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>> On Oct 21, 2009, at 12:28 PM, Chad Perrin wrote:
>>> How does one undo a `make deinstall` when `make reinstall` fails?
>>
>> Do you have a package of this port handy?-- try doing a pkg_add of
>> that...
>
> It is, for the moment, a hypothetical question -- based on an
> experience
> a year or so ago.  I'd like to avoid having the same problem again
> (deinstalling and reinstalling something, then finding the reinstall
> didn't work) without having an idea how to undo the damage of
> deinstalling something that actually worked.  So . . . assume for
> argument's sake that I haven't gone out of my way to create a
> package in
> advance, for a sort of "worst case scenario".

As Dan mentioned, portupgrade creates a package before deleting the
installed files, so it can rollback to the older version if the
install of the update fails.
And, of course, if you care about a system, then you would already be
taking backups that you could restore from if you needed to...

Regards,
--
-Chuck