Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 10:21:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jon Wynacht <jwynacht@switchlight2239.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Windows 98

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Jon Wynacht wrote:

> I want to install FreeBSD on my Win98 laptop. I have plenty of speed and
> memory but I was wondering if you all had tips or insights on this?
> Specifically:
>
> 1. I was told I could boot the CD on startup but haven't been able to do
> that. Any ideas?

you can try making a boot floppy, then picking the CDrom as the install
media later in the install:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html

look at step "4".

> 2. Do I have to use Partition Magic or some other utility to create a new
> partition?

Not a bad idea, FreeBSD does a seperate _primary_ partition to reside in.

good luck,
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
Wintelcom systems administrator and programmer
   - http://www.wintelcom.net/ [bright@wintelcom.net]