Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:28:18 -0700
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   KSE project announcement

One of the best reasons to use SMP hardware is to scale up the performance
of multi-threaded applications, which isn't currently possible with libc_r.
The SMP project is well under way now and continues to make solid progress,
so in addition to managing that project, I'm again focusing some attention
on SMP-scalable userland threads support.  There is now a KSE project web
page at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~jasone/kse/

There were lengthy design discussions almost a year ago on the mailing
lists and at BA[BF]UG (Bay Area [Free]BSD Users Group) meetings.  I've
written a draft paper that explains the approach we decided on.  Note that
the paper is a draft, which means it is missing some details, there may
be inaccuracies, and some things might change.  Nonetheless, if this
project is of interest to you, the paper should be enlightening:

http://people.freebsd.org/~jasone/refs/freebsd_kse/freebsd_kse.html
http://people.freebsd.org/~jasone/refs/freebsd_kse.ps

Feedback is welcome, of course.

Quite a number of people were involved in the design, and there are
presently three of us that are attacking the implementation.  If you have
the time, interest, and background necessary to aid in implementation,
please contact me.

Thanks,
Jason