Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:43:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        Charlie Watts <cewatts@frontier.net>
Cc:        Paul <tribble@tribble.net>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Benchmarks from SysAdmin mag

Hmm.  Good question.  I don't know (running just softupdates here), but I
wouldn't write an article on the matter, so...  ;)

I find it discouraging that so many of the people writing articles about
technology (which often, in turn, makeup other business people's minds for
them) seem to know so little about it.

Don't know FreeBSD as well as you do Linux?  Then don't compare the
two.  At least, not without doing appropriate research and knowing a
little about what you're talking about before opening your mouth.

Pet peeve.

Later,
-Mike

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Charlie Watts wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Paul wrote:
>
> > Hi all... it appears that after so many FreeBSD users (including
> > myself) sent sysadmin magazine messages regarding the benchmark article
> > previously discussed in this thread, they've posted a follow-up.  They
> > sent me an email directly in respond to my message, giving me the new URL.
> >
> > So, everyone interested check out:
> > http://www.sysadminmag.com/articles/2001/0108/0108q/0108q.htm
>
> They claim to have both done:
>
>  tunefs -n enable /
>  tunefs -n enable /usr
>  tunefs -n enable /var
>
> And:
>  in /etc/fstab
> Add to options for all hard disk file systems ",async":
>
> Given this, which takes precedence? Or am I mis-understanding?
>
> I think of the three options as sync, async, and softupdates. If you
> turn async AND softupdates on, what is really happening?
>
> --
> Charlie Watts
> cewatts@frontier.net                                Frontier Internet
> Systems Janitor and Network Plumber           http://www.frontier.net/

 Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow they may make it illegal.