Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 00:22:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Doug Lo <jwlo@ms11.hinet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to upgrade 2.2.5-R from 2.2.2-R?

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Doug Lo wrote:

> Hi, FreeBSD gurus,
>
> I'm using FreeBSD 2.2.2-Release, now FreeBSD 2.2.5-Release is available.
>
> I want to upgrade my FreeBSD version, but I don't know how to do.
> would anyone tell me how to upgrade 2.2.5-R from 2.2.2-R?

This message inagurates the new version of the FreeBSD-Questions
"How do I upgrade" Canned Response for 2.2.5.  Congratulations! :)

FreeBSD Upgrade Checklist:

1)  BACKUP /ETC, BACKUP /ETC, BACKUP /ETC.  IT __WILL__ BE MODIFIED!!!

2)  Make and boot the new floppy.  Select the 'update' option.  Follow
the prompts.  Make sure you MOUNT your filesystems and not NEWFS them.
Select the same distributions you did originally and any you wish to add.
Don't forget that you can download the distributions to the local disk
and point sysinstall at them if you don't have a good network connection or
supported CD-ROM.

3)  Hit 'commit'.

4)  WHen you're dumped to a shell prompt:

	.  Edit rc.conf and re-config from scratch using your old one as
	   a guide.

	.  Migrate any changes you made to rc.local and other files noted
           during the upgrade process.

5)  Reboot, recompile & reinstall your kernel, reboot again, and enjoy.

Hope this helps.