Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 11:19:38 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Rob van Oostveen <oostveen@euronet.nl>
Cc:        "'freebsd-isp@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Firewall

On Sun, 30 Mar 1997, Rob van Oostveen wrote:

> Does anyone have an advise for me on how to secure a Web site/LAN
> with FreeBSD. I.e. which Firewall package to use or where to find additional
> info about this subject in particular ?

For a basic packet filtering package, build your kernel with
options IPFIREWALL
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE

and read /etc/sysconfig and /etc/rc.firewall.

> I'm quite unexperienced to this subject and any help/documentation is welcome.

You can also look at http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/ for Darren Reed's
ipfilter package.

If you don't know much about firewalling, buy a book.  It does not make
sense to skimp on a $50 book when you are protecting your corporate network.

Danny