Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 95 20:05:03 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        ache@astral.msk.su (=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= aka)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, peter@haywire.DIALix.COM
Subject:   Re: penalty of using off_t for arithmatic with gcc's long

> 1) I say nothing here about atomic off_t, I say about "long" type
> of fseek argument, you can see it in any POSIX docs copy.

I don't see explicitly definition of off_t as long in my stuff.

> 2) In my POSIX specs (maybe I look at wrong place?) I don't read
> that off_t must be atomic, it says "integral".

You're quite right.  "integral", not "atomic".

As to the patches:

I was under the impression that you had used longs everywhere, and
not done the off_t casting you report.  So never mind, they're
probably correct (if not clean for file offsets above 2G).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.