Date:      Fri, 5 May 1995 17:28:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        fredriks@mcs.com (Lars Fredriksen)
Cc:        dufault@hda.com, bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@FreeBSD.org, julian@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SLICES and bits in the device numbers

> Couldn't we use the "bus" device for all lowlevel stuff like formatting,
> tuning, tape fixing etc? What I mean is that we open /dev/scsi0 and
> blast the scsi request straight in that way. It does mean some code
> duplication between the different drivers and the "control" program,
> but if we are running out of bits, it might be worth it.
 but you couldn't blast a format at sd0 but at sb0t0l0 or whatever,
which might be easier to get wrong?

my own suggestion is that slice1 (presently whole disk slice) be divided
into a couple of sub-devices..
0: whole disk
1: MBR block (if it exists)
2: control (ioctl only) device

the st driver already has a control device..
What a control device actually means is dependent on the kind of device,
(setting modes permanently on tapes is one example)
so I see no reason to not make it's definition device specific,
unless you want to make teh SCSI code define this..
(which may not be what we want)

julian