Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 12:27:09 -0700
From:      "Scott Overholser (Volt Computer) (Exchange)" <a-scotov@exchange.microsoft.com>
To:        "'Kevin Swanson'" <Kevin_Swanson@BLaCKSMITH.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: muliport boards - building a PPP dialup server

perhaps you should send this to the freebsd-isp list as well.

i don't know if a 486/33 will have the horsepower to run 8 ports
simultaneously.  if 115kbps isn't important on all of them it may be
okay.  15mb will probably be fine but it seems a little light.

cyclades makes boards that run great under freebsd.  the newer ones may
require a freebsd-stable system rather than 2.1.0-release.  i purchased
one a year ago that works fine.  i purchased another two months ago that
doesn't work at all (crashes the system when it gets a call).  i haven't
had a chance to look into the problem with the newer card other than to
run cyclade's cyctest.exe dos program that tests the card (and it tested
ok).  i've heard that the cyclades driver has been shaped up quite a bit
in -stable.

scotto

p.s.  i've not had good luck with intel etherexpress cards and freebsd
(or linux or netbsd for that matter).