Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 1996 15:22:45 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        bogusz@lib.amu.edu.pl (Bogusz Jelinski)
Cc:        p.richards@elsevier.co.uk, fyeung@netific.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD NE2100 PCI Ethernet support

> But I am not puzzled by this. Hardware's behaviour can not always be
> determined. Probably my SVEC is one of the "two-in-one" cards :-)

usually 'two-in-one' cards use the same controller (e.g. NE/WD/SMC),
not a totally different one. Some do emulate different cards
(common with video cards or SCSI controller) but the additional
complexity requires a good payoff in terms of volume (Video cards,
where additional performance motivate extensions to the VGA chipset,
yet backward compatibility reasons force to emulate VGA/EGA/CGA) or
relatively high margins on each card (SCSI controllers, where also often a
microcontroller handles the protocol with the host, and emulation is
not that expensive). I do not see
these two motivations in building a lnc&ed network card.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/