Date:      Tue, 03 Sep 2002 00:02:50 -0500
From:      Dub Dublin <dub@infowave.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installation without floppy or CD?

I am wondering how to best attempt the following installation:

I have a Toshiba Libretto 50J with *no floppy* and *no CD-ROM* drive.

The machine is currently running Mandrake Linux 7.1, and has network
connectivity using a Xircom CEM56 CreditCard Ethernet/Modem Adapter,
which is a combo card with a 10/100 Ethernet and 56 K modem.  I don't
care if the modem works when the install is done -  although it might
come in handy someday, I've not used it in the four years I've owned it.

Note that I can easily install from the network, if there is just some
way to kick off an FTP install from the hard disk, without requiring
floppies.  Is this as easy as just blasting the equivalent of the
contents of the floppies onto an extra partition and telling LILO to
boot from there?

It's not clear from the docs what I should do here - I certainly prefer
a network install, but I could create a DOS partition and copy the bin
image there (who knows exactly what the others do? I can't find that
info anywhere...) Unfortunately, the instructions are silent on how I
might kick off the process of installing from that image without using
floppies.

I'm sure this isn't too hard, but this sort of thing will go much more
smoothly if I can get it right the first time - reloading anything (even
DOS) if I can't do so over the net is a painful process involving disk
transplants, and all kinds of problems because of hardware differences.

Anyhow, the answers to this question should perhaps be added to the
Installation docs, since I'm sure others have similar problems,
especially if they're working with embedded or other non-PC devices.

Thanks,

Dub