Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 13:29:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: when does CURRENT fork with 4-STABLE?

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> In the past, -stable has only moved to a new branch *months* after the
> first release from that branch.  The '-stable' designation isn't moved
> until the branch is, well, stable.  Giving it time to settle out, as
> it were.  This was the case on 3.0, on 2.2.1, on 2.1.0.

I should have clarified what I meant, especially in the context of the
thread subject. I meant that people will be able to track changes in 4.0
immediately after its release. Whether it's still 4.0-CURRENT or
4.0-STABLE, I have no idea. Lowell is most likely right; -CURRENT will
probably not fork until sometime after the release, probably closer to
4.1-RELEASE, if I had to guess.

Cheers,
Mick