Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 2008 08:40:08 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        "Ion-Mihai Tetcu" <itetcu@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Angus Robinson <angus@fairhaven.za.net>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wire(less)router under 100E - that we can run FreeBSD on? (Re: projects for wrt54gl)

On Wednesday 10 September 2008 08:06:57 Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 14:47:18 +0200
>
> Max Laier <max@love2party.net> wrote:
> > On Monday 18 August 2008 13:59:21 Angus Robinson wrote:
> > > Not to sure if this list caters this. I have a linksys wrt54gl
> > > wireless router (the cisco open source AP) and would like to know
> > > if there is a *BSD projects out there for this AP (i know there are
> > > a few linux ones), or if IPFW2 can be sucessfully compiled on
> > > linux. I have had a look on google with not much sucess. Sorry if
> > > this is the wrong list.
> > >
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series
> >
> > This is powered by a MIPS based SoC.  The FreeBSD/mips port is not
> > ready for prime time, yet ... but the wrt54gXX should be a possible
> > target once it is. NetBSD has a mips32 port, but it seems that there
> > are boot problems with the wrt54
> >
> > As of now, it seems that *BSD is a no-go on this device - sorry.
>
> Are you or anyone else aware of an equivalent product - wire(less)
> router under 100E - that we can run FreeBSD on?
>
> We're using quite a few wrt54gl for very small networks and I'd really
> love a bit more flexibility when it comes to firewall for the same
> money.

I'm not.  However, you can pick up PcEngiens WRAP (discontinued) and ALIX
based solutions for just about 100E.  There might be some ARM based solutions
out there, I'm not aware of, though.  In addition, there should be a rise in
Intel Atom based boards in the next few months which can certainly provide a
quite powerful solution for <100$.