Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 09:59:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        imdave@mcs.net
Subject:   Parallel link

  People,

  This is directed toward Dave Bodenstab or Doug White, primarily;
  but if anyone else on the list has any insight, I'd be much
  obliged to hear back.

  I've finally got my two FBSD boxes configured with a Laplink
  cable on /dev/lpt1.  In /etc/sysconfig (P90//2.2.0-R) is:

  ifconfig lp0 10.0.0.1   10.0.0.2 -link0

  # estalish the routing necessary for the two to talk; the ``add -net''
  # because of my existing default networking with tera.tera.com.
  route add -net 10.0.0.2    10.0.0.1

  And in /etc/rc.conf (6x86//2.2.5)
  is:

  ifconfig lp0 10.0.0.2        10.0.0.1 -link0  ## in sage
  route add -net 10.0.0.1  ## sage

  Doing:

  # ping 10.0.0.2

  from tao  should work if the route exists, but it doesn't.

  I'm assuming that the cable is good. (?)  Does anybody see anything
  obvious that I'm missing here?  dmesg reports:

  lpt0 at 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa
  lpt0: Interrupt-driven port

  on both machines.  Do I need to change something in the kernel
  CONFIG files or boot: -c and enable the driver?  Things are
  close, hardware-wise; but no cigar.

  Doug, you're probably right about doing this thru two NE2000's
  and some twisted pair.  That's my next hardware adventure.

  thanks, guys,

  gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix