Date:      Thu, 01 Aug 1996 09:25:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <jeffrey_m._metcalf@ccmail.bms.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        metcalf@imagine.com
Subject:   Help: backup to hard drive?

     Hello,

     After all the advice that was given to me by the staff and
     newsreaders at FreeBSD (for which I am very grateful), I
     have decided on the best backup option for me.  I believe
     in terms of cost, and performance on both my FreeBSD
     partition and my Win95 partition, that investing in a
     second large hard drive is my best option.  I am going
     to purchase a SCSI-2 hard drive to be attached to my
     Trantor SCSI controller on my ProAudioStudio sound board.
     Do you anticipate any problems?  I am running Win95 and
     FreeBSD 2.1.0.

     My primary question is: how should I format and partition
     my new hard drive appropriately so that I will have a
     DOS/Win95 partition and a UNIX partition such that they
     contain only the most minimal formats and OS files necessary to
     archive files to.  In other words, I would like my UNIX partion
     to not have to contain any unnecessary operating system files.
     I want to optimize space by just putting 'tar' files there if
     I can.  I want a similar setup with my Win95 partition, but I
     think I have the documentation and know how for that.

     I believe in solving this, all my problems will have been addressed.

     As always, thanks for your support.

     J. Metcalf