Date:      12 Nov 1998 16:35:14 -0600
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        David Holland <dholland@cs.toronto.edu>
Cc:        kline@tao.thought.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd make to gnu make conversion, anyone??

> eww.
> I didn't know this would work.

As Gary later pointed out, it doesn't.  As I said, it was just a
guess.  The hangup is that pattern substitutions cannot introduce
multiple targets.  I suspect that breaking the Makefile into targets
is done before variable substitution, but I don't know.

>> What's wrong with using sh like God intended?
> Two reasons; one that issuing complex shell commands makes make -n
> output less useful (for an extreme case of this, try make -n install
> in gnu binutils),

I am aware of that, but in this simple case, it's perfectly fine.

> and the other that when you do loops in the shell they don't always
> terminate on error like you (usually) want.

I guess a little extra sh code could fix that at the expense of
prettiness.

> For install this may not be that significant, but when you're doing
> recursion into subdirectories it sucketh. Hard.

Quite.  Requirements for cross-compatibility across Linux, BSD, and
Win32 have brought several of my compile procedures to tears.  (In
case you're wondering, most Win32 compilers parse #include "..."
differently.  It's an ambiguity about what is considered the "current
directory".)

Happy hacking,
joelh

--