Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 2003 00:02:09 +0100
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        zec@tel.fer.hr
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PATCH: Forcible delaying of UFS (soft)updates

Marko Zec <zec@tel.fer.hr> wrote:

>Here's a patch against 4.8-RELEASE kernel that allows disk writes on
>softupdates-enabled filesystems to be delayed for (theoretically)
>arbitrarily long periods of time. The motivation for such updating
>policy is surprisingly not purely suicidal - it can allow disks on
>laptops to spin down immediately after I/O operations and stay idle for
>longer periods of time, thus saving considerable amount of battery
>power.

I've used a much simpler patch for a number of years, which allows
you to increase the 30s syncer interval. See
http://dotat.at/prog/buildworld/patches.src/04.syncdelay.patch.disabled

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
LANDS END TO ST DAVIDS HEAD INCLUDING THE BRISTOL CHANNEL: EAST OR SOUTHEAST