Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 23:08:26 -0500
From:      Christian Kuhtz <ck@adsu.bellsouth.com>
To:        paul@originative.co.uk
Cc:        archie@whistle.com, dfr@nlsystems.com, gelderen@mediaport.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KLD naming

Why not just follow the directory structure under /sys?

Afterall, we are talking about kernel stuff here.

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 10:58:13AM -0000, paul@originative.co.uk wrote:
[..]
> I don't think subdirectories based on bus type is a good idea, it
> doesn't really fit the granularity we're probably heading towards. Some
> thinks don't really fit at all, filesystems, screen savers etc and even
> for drivers we're heading towards less bus specific devices so an
> ethernet driver, say, would be the same for any bus, only the startup
> code would be different and possibly(probably) in a different module.
>
> A functional structure is probably better
>
> /modules
> 	/devices
> 		/ethernet
> 		/storage
> 		/display
> 	/network
> 	/filesystems
> 	/screensavers
>

> etc.
>
> Not a specific proposal for actual directories but perhaps a better
> direction. I think we should start thinking more in terms of function,
> rather than bus, in a lot of what we do with devices as we abstract out
> the bus code more effectively.
>
> Paul.

  "Logic is a little bird, sitting in a tree; that smells *awful*."
                                                         --  /usr/bin/fortune

[Disclaimer: I speak for myself and my views are my own and not in any way to
             be construed as the views of BellSouth Corporation. ]