Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 2010 11:01:50 -0600
From:      Stacy Millions <stacy@Millions.Ca>
To:        gljennjohn@googlemail.com
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD8 + xorg 7.5 + intel + IBM X40

On 06/17/10 03:24, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:11:16 -0600
> Stacy Millions<stacy@Millions.Ca>  wrote:

>> In i830_display.c:i830_crtc_load_lut in the loop
>>
>> for (i = 0; i<  256; i++) {
>>       OUTREG(palreg + 4 * i,
>>              (intel_crtc->lut_r[i]<<  16) |
>>              (intel_crtc->lut_g[i]<<  8) |
>>              intel_crtc->lut_b[i]);
>>       }
>>
>> when i == 2 the system freezes.

> Considering that you're using the display while the hardware settings
> are being modified I sort of wonder whether this loop is really the
> cause.
>
> Or are you debugging remotely?

I am debugging across an ssh connection.

> I'd try commenting out this loop and see whether X starts without it
> (but the display may be messed up).  If it does then you can be pretty
> sure that setting the palreg is the cause.

Using the debugger, I just jumped over the loop. It worked. I had a
running X server. So I edited i830_display.c and commented out the loop,
recompiled/reinstalled the driver and it works... ugly as hell but it works.

>                                          Why is another question
> all together.

That's the kicker alright. I will keep plugging at it and see if I can
figure out what is happen. As always, any suggestions are welcome.

-stacy