Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:12:06 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
To:        CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to program the serial interface?

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, CyberPeasant wrote:

> Marco Molteni wrote:
> >
> > I'm writing a user-level program to interface a DEC TU58, which is a
> > state-of-the-art ;-) tape drive; it uses a 256 KB cartridge.
> >
> > The interface to it is a RS-232, and I'm asking how do I program the PC
> > serial interface with FreeBSD? Are there any manual pages or some docs?
>
> Yikes, what an antique!

:-)

> I'd check around on some Dec-oriented places. try http://www.decus.org
> They have some archives on DEC arcana.  Maybe ask on
> port-pmax@netbsd.org. Do you actually have documentation for what that
> Dectape wants to have?

Hi Dave,

I think I wasn't able to state correctly my question in english :-)
I don't need the specs for the TU58, I need to know how to program a
serial interface under Unix.

I have the TU58 User Manual, and it could be used as an example on
how to write a PERFECT manual. Clean, with all the hardware specs, and
also Pascal pseudocode on how to drive the TU58 :-)

If you are wondering what I'm doing with the TU58, well, I use it (under
M$-DOS, now) to program an industrial machine (sorry, don't know the
english term for it).

Thanks for your reply,
Marco