Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2017 12:52:35 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How long does it take for a port to become a pkg?

--SfJXrPadBLHUBlv3L270Vm2ifgOkGA1lB
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--32IpN47MviuAnmsw4idSM4lkh34f0LERI

On 2017/03/14 12:33, Christian Baer wrote:
> Is this a thing with the mirror that the pkg tool is choosing or are
> the packages actually not updated that often? I actually thought this
> was an automated process that ran every night - or at least on a
> regular basis with shorter intervals than 6 weeks.

By default you will be using the quarterly package set.  By design, that
doesn't receive updates unless they are fixes for security problems, or
fixes to make the package build correctly.

You won't see lumina-1.2.x in that package set until the end of this
quarter -- which is only about two weeks away now, but still a long time
to wait.

You will need to switch to the 'latest' package set if you must have
lumina-1.2 straight away.  You can do that by creating a file:

/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

with this contents:

FreeBSD: { url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest" }

Then type 'pkg -vvv' to make the new location has been registered.

It takes about 1--2 days for changes to the ports to make it into the
latest package set, and there will be many more of them than in the
quarterly branches.  You will also get an update to pkg(8) itself which
means reverting to the quarterly packages won't be possible[*] until the
end of this quarter.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Well, it is /technically/ possible, but it isn't easy and involves
some 'reinstall all the packages' type operations.