Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 1995 03:49:35 -0700
From:      jkh@violet.berkeley.edu (Jordan K. Hubbard)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   crypt folks?

From: rsanders@interbev.mindspring.com (Robert Sanders)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Secure (encrypted) telnet
Date: 20 Apr 1995 13:36:41 GMT

We're about to install a FreeBSD machine for network monitoring, so keep
in mind that although I am not yet a FreeBSD user, it's only a matter of
days.

I've been trying to get FreeBSD's telnet (telnet, libtelnet, telnetd) to
compile with encryption and authentication enabled.  I'd like to avoid
Kerberos if possible, so I enabled RSA and DES with the appropriate
defines.  The trouble is that, when compiling libtelnet, the rsaencpwd.c
file used an include file that wasn't included in the source (cdc.h).
After disabling RSA encryption, libtelnet could compile but linking
telnet resulted in these errors:

enc_des.o: Undefined symbol _des_new_random_key referenced from text segment
enc_des.o: Undefined symbol _des_ecb_encrypt referenced from text segment
enc_des.o: Undefined symbol _des_set_random_generator_seed referenced from text segment
enc_des.o: Undefined symbol _des_key_sched referenced from text segment

Can anyone tell me whether FreeBSD's telnet works in encrypted mode,
and what pieces I have to grap for other operating systems if I wish
to use it?  Obviously usr.bin/telnet, lib/libtelnet, and libexec/telnetd.
Where can I find the missing pieces for the RSA and DES components?

I'm compiling this for Linux, AIX, BSDI, and (soon) FreeBSD.

Many thanks,
  -- Robert