Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 20:49:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP

> By default, you will want to disable all ports (ports map to services),
> and enable ports on a case-by-case basis, per machine.

This will need to be done afer DHCP is loaded, or else you'll never get
off the ground. rc.firewall I would think would need to allow lo0 packets
and anything from the DHCP server, then after getting your addresses and
such, build another firewall script dynamically that is more stringent.

> The above all presumes, of course, that you are running the DHCP server
> on the FreeBSD box, and NOT on the NT box.  If you need to run the DHCP
> server on the NT box, then you will be forced to buy a third party
> firewall package from someone who has probably paid a *LOT* of money
> to license NT source code, and wants to make that money back.  Given
> NT source license fees, I'd expect the price to be in the tens of
> thousands of dollars.

> Note: there is Samba code that allows a FreeBSD box to act as an NT
> domain controller, so if the reason you have to use NT is because of
> domain controller services, then you don't have to use NT like you
> thought you did.

This is still BETA at best, and not very useful for a production
environment.  Still, it is a great first step. Once it is fully
functional, adminning these crap-o `95 machines will be MUCH nicer!

Kevin