Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 16:24:16 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Steve Jorgensen <steve@khoral.com>
To:        jose@we.lc.ehu.es (Jose M. Alcaide)
Cc:        abc@bsdi.com (Alan Clegg), wolpert@methodsystems.com (Edward Wolpert), sean@stat.Duke.EDU (Sean O'Connell), freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound card setup: ESS Maestro-2E on fujitsu lifebook e-seris

Jose M. Alcaide wrote

>> >         Yes, I own a license.  It seems to run mp3's fine with mpg123
>> >         on my Dell Inspiron 7500 with a ESS Maestro-2E.  It does have
>> >         problems doing any kind of sound from the linux emulation system.
>> >         If I run vmware with sound enabled, it crashes the machine,
>> >         and the linux realplayer 8 has big problems.
>> >

>> Same here, but I need to play MP3s in mono ("mpg123 -m"). Stereo playing
>> of MP3 clips sounds ugly. I read something about this problem in
>> the README.Maestro file which comes with the OSS distribution. It also
>> says that 16-bit stereo playing does not work because of a hardware
>> problem (if this is true, then the Maestro chips are crap).

	Actually there is a --8bit option you can specify to mpg123,
	though I didn't have to use it.  On the other hand, no matter
	what, it sounds pretty bad through the laptop internal speakers,
	but it's ok when I play it through real speakers attached to the
	docking station.  I haven't tried using the headphone jack yet.

Steven Jorgensen      steve@khoral.com	 steve@spukhaus.com