Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 08:37:58 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Old 4.0-R binaries remaining in 4.1.1-S

Hello!

On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 11:28:24PM -0400, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
> Hello -stable,

> 2000/10/22) that there are some old things in /usr/bin (&
> manpages too, I think) that date back to the original
> installation of 4.0-R.
<...>
> Can these be deleted safely?  Source seems to be gone now.
> How about other old cruft (ie. manpages, other system directories?)

If the make build/installworld has not updated them then they are probably
gone... if the sources are gone too and you are sure you are not missing
anything from your cvsup config file then for sure you can.

> Is this a bug, a feature, or maybe even a make-option?

It is a feature. Nothing is touched automatically that you do not request.

> Or is this a side-effect of not having originally run a
> cvsup with a tag of RELENG_4_0_0_RELEASE?

No. Cvsup only touches /usr/src as it should. But it will delete even there
only of you ask it to. (The example config-file contains this option) It
will certainly not touch your running system.

> What would be a Good Way(tm :) to find & delete this old stuff?

A run of the find(1) command:-) My (agreedly ugly) hack off the top of my
head something like:

find /bin \! -mtime x -ls|more

and then repeat also with /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin etc.

(where 'x' is the number of 24-hour periods since your last installworld)

You can also put this into a shell script and pipe the output into file(s)
for maximum convenience.:-) UNIX is wonderful, yeah!

But I recommend using '-ls' instead of '-delete', so that you can view the
list first and only delete afterwards:-) maybe manually if you are not sure.
Viewing is always safe:-)

For /etc, always use mergemaster(8) with your make build/installworlds, that
will take care of refreshing it.

> Naturally, FAQ & -doc pointers are quite welcome.  :)

I do not think it is documented anywhere (maybe because it is potentially
dangerous when used cluelessly?) save for the find(1) manpage, of course.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szeged University