Date:      Fri, 06 Jun 1997 13:36:39 -0600
From:      Joshua Fielden <shag@concentric.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP problems/still the same

Patrick Gardella wrote:

> Joshua,
>
> I use concentric.net as my ISP as well, so maybe my ppp.conf will help you.
> Here it is:
>
> concentric:
>  set phone 2522113
>  set openmode active
>  deny chap
>  accept pap
>  set authname g304090
>  set authkey  ****
>  set ifaddr 10.10.11.11/0 206.173.96.3/0 255.255.255.0
>  add 0 0 10.10.11.11
>  set timeout 0
>
> You will also need to add a default route after you type "ppp -auto whatever"
> For my ppp.conf, it would be :
>
> route add default 206.173.96.3
>
> Although that IP could be changed to whatever you want, since the "/0" at the
> end says "I don't care if you use any of the bits I have suggested."  Just make
> sure the second IP of the "ifaddr" and the "route add" line match.
>
> Let me know if this works.
>
> Patrick
>
> On 06-Jun-97 Joshua Fielden wrote:
> >Well, I almost got my PPP to work... :-/ I can get -auto to work fine,
> >dial, and even connect.... but then nothing happens. My ppp.log shows
> >the last two line of any connection as
> >

> >LCP: state change Initial --> closed
> >LCP: state change Closed --> stopped
> >

> >       If I set openmode active, I get a chunk of what boils down to requests
> >being sent from my machine, then it finally gives up. I have searched
> >the archives for this problem, and see it has shown up before, but there
> >never seems to be a resolution to any of the threads in the archives.
> >They all seem to end up saying "talk to your ISP" but my ISP will not
> >deal with anyone running any sort of U*ix system. Anyone got any ideas?
> >I can use PPP fine in 95/NT/Dos, BTW, and under BSD, I can cu to my
> >shell and telnet/PPP from there, so the hardware is fine and works. BTW,
> >I am running 2.1.5-Release.

okay, here's what my ppp.log says when openmode active is set,
regardless of the other actions involved:

LCP: Send Config Req
  AFCOMP
  PROTOCOMP
  ACCMAP [6] 00000000
  MRU [4] 1500
  MAGICNUM [6] d6b0575c
  AUTHPROTO [4] 49187
<repeat until end>
LCP: state change Req-Sent --> Stopped
LCP: LayerFinish
Disconnected:
Connect time: 16 secs
Phase: Dead
LCP: LayerStart
Phase: Establish
LCP: state change Stopped --> Starting
Phase: Dead

Pap, CHAP, Pred, all produce the same results either active or passive.
Anyone have any help for deciphering these runes? :-)

Thank You,
JF