Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:19:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        hans@lambermont.dyndns.org (H)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nVidia Cards /w FreeBSD (3D Acceleration)

> scott@sawilson.org wrote:
>
> > What if someone were to set up a simple email cgi with a form
> > letter in the nature of:
> > Dear nVidia,
>
> snip -good letter proto deleted-

Agreed, it was a good prototype, no negatives or bashes that I
noticed, save those for latter.

> > Have them numbered in the subject so nVidia has an instant idea how
> > many people are effected. It would be important that we don't sound
> > like depraved zealots like some other operating system fans have in
> > the past when doing a letter writing campaign.
>
> Interesting, has a letter writing campaign like this worked before for
> graphics driver issues ? Is so we should go for it !

I am not quite sure of the details, but it was quite a pain for the
XFree86 folks to ever get Matrox to work with them on drivers for
thier cards.  You might search thier archives, or ask them...

And IIRC some form of consumer pressure was applied to Diamond
to get them to release the details of certian special stuff that
they had done on some of their cards having to do with special
dot clock circuits...  (After someone else did some reverse engineering
IIRC again.)

I do know that any manufacture can be made to bend or even totaly
reverse a company policy if enough of the right type of pressure
is applied.

That leaves the question, are there enough of us that own nVida
products to get them to listen.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net