Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 10:05:44 +0100
From:      Robin Melville <robmel@innotts.co.uk>
To:        Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Let 3.x die ASAP?

>  > In 2000 it's getting worse, for me FreeBSD is not stable at all
>  > the future of FreeBSD is not so clear, version follow after version but
>  > I still have no support for my sound board, realplayer, oracle...
>  > The clients are telling me to install Linux instead of FreeBSD (for
>  > oracle)...

Whoa, this is an astonishing claim. We've been running all versions
of FreeBSD since 2.1.0 on heavily laden garage-sale departmental
servers. I've never come across such a reliable and cost-effective
(in hardware and administration cost terms) OS in 23 years of IT
management. Even 4.0 has turned out to be solid for the services we
offer despite the anxieties expressed here and elsewhere.

If you analyse the welter of traffic on this list (particularly after
a new *.0 release) 90% or more is people who didn't follow the
instructions, haven't found the handbook yet, have faulty hardware or
wish to debate endlessly the version numbering/obsolescence
strategies of the FreeBSD team.

The vast majority of users silently continue to use this excellent
system and offer prayers of thanks to the people who make it possible
to continue to run reliable and exceptionally efficient services for
our users in a world dominated by bloated and mediocre software.

My 2 British pence.

Best wishes

Robin.

Robin Melville, Addiction Information Services
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team
Tel:  +44 (0)115 952 9478       Fax:  +44 (0)115 952 9421
work: robmel@nadt.org.uk        home: robmel@innotts.co.uk
Pages: http://www.nadt.org.uk/